After-School Thrift Shop Volunteer
If you're looking for a novel way to complete your high school service hours, gain valuable retail experience, and work in a fun and engaging environment, then our student volunteer positions were written with you in mind!
Our volunteers generously donate their time and expertise to operate our thrift store. They perform a wide range of duties, from sorting and pricing donations to cashiering. We choose not to limit volunteers to a single task, and, as a result, can provide a volunteer experience that is unmatched in its flexibility and variety.
During the school year, our student volunteer shifts run from 4:00-7:00pm Monday through Saturday. We encourage all of our volunteers to commit to one four-hour shift a week, however, exceptions can be made if the volunteer has special needs or duties.
The Burnaby Hospice Society Thrift Store was established in 2006 as a means of raising funds for the Burnaby Hospice Society, an organization that provides compassionate care to individuals and families during the end-of-life journey. Since then, our store has become a cornerstone of the organization, with sales accounting for approximately 65% of its funding.
- Assisting customers
- Organizing merchandise
- Pricing merchandise
- Sorting books
- Repairing items
- Sorting merchandise
- Special projects
- Recycling and disposal of goods
A good attitude and a willingness to learn are the most important qualities we look for in applicants. Additionally:
- Students/ESL students are welcome to apply.
- We request that applicants are at least 16 years old at the time of their applications. Applicants between the ages of 13 and 15 may apply with parent/guardian consent.
- Volunteers must commit to a minimum of one three to four-hour shift a week for a four month period.
- Experience working in a retail setting is not necessary, but considered an asset.
- Must be able to understand English.
- We provide references upon the completion of 30 volunteer hours
- Cookies and refreshments are provided during each shift
We'd love to have you on our team! To apply, simply fill out our application form and either drop it off in our store at 6843 Kingsway or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.